EOS 7D SLR
EOS 7D SLR
Record Screens & Menus
Above you can see the Camera settings and Quick Control function displays. The Camera settings screen (left) shows which modes you have registered under the Camera 1/2/3 positions on the Mode dial, Color space, White balance shift/bracket settings, Color temp. currently being used, Auto power off value, noise reduction settings, etc. The Quick Control function displays shooting information with graphical icons indicating exposure mode, ISO, exposure compensation, picture style mode, white balance, etc. This is also a function menu, which allows you to quickly change the settings for each value (see below for more details).
The Quick Control or Shooting function display is actually an interactive shortcut menu.
From here you can access options like Picture
Style, ISO, Highlight tone priority, Exposure compensation/AEB settings, Flash
exposure comp., AF point, White Balance, Metering mode, Auto Lighting Optimizer, Image quality, AF mode, Drive mode, etc. The
amount of options available depends on the exposure mode being used.
Above you can see the settings offered when using Program mode.
Rotating the control dials or using the 8-way controller will give you access to these options under the Camera or Shooting menu:
- Quality: - Choose the RAW (RAW, MRAW SRAW and JPEG (Large Fine/Normal, Medium Fine/Normal, Small Fine/Normal) settings by rotating the Control and Quick Control dials
- Red-eye On/Off - On or Off
- Beep - Enable/disable "button beep" sounds
- Release shutter w/o card - Allows or denies shutter release when no memory card is installed
- Review time - Sets review timeout on LCD - 2 sec., 4 sec., 8 sec., Hold
- Peripheral illumination correction - Enable or Disable, helps with light fall-off or darkening at the corners of your images when using certain lenses
- Flash Control - Choose whether the flash fires, Built-in flash function settings, External flash function settings, External flash custom function settings, etc.
- Exposure Comp./AEB - Choose the EV compensation for AE Bracketing and Exposure compensation (-2 to +2EV in 1/3 or 1/2EV steps)
- Auto Lighting Optimizer - Automatically adjusts brightness and contrast to increase detail in shadow areas; Standard, Disable, Low, or Strong
- White Balance - Choose from Auto, Daylight (5200K), Shade (7000K), Cloudy (6000K), Tungsten light (3200K), White fluorescent light (4000K), Flash, Custom, Color Temp.
- Custom WB - Set the custom white balance value using a stored image
- WB SHIFT/BKT - Set white balance correction or the step increment for white balance bracketing
- Color space - sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Picture Style - Selects image effects; see next menu description.
- Dust Delete Data - Takes an exposure (of a white object) to identify dust spots on the image sensor. The dust data are appended to subsequent images for post-processing removal by Canon's software.
- One-touch RAW+JPEG - Choose the settings of the One-touch RAW+JPEG button
Picture Style Menu
The Picture Style menu has two looks. The first is what you see when you select the Picture Style option in the Record Menu, and the second is the graphical display when you press Picture Style button on the back of the camera. They Both have the same options, listed below:
- Standard: For vivid, sharp and crisp images
- Portrait: For nice skin tones, slightly sharp and crisp
- Landscape: For vivid blues and greens, very sharp and crisp images
- Neutral: For natural colors and subdued images; no sharpening applied
- Faithful: For colormetric adjustment of colors of subjects shot under a color temperature of 5200K; no sharpening applied
- Monochrome: For Black and White images
- User Def. 1-3: For user-defined Picture Styles
- Detail set.: For changing parameters of the pre-defined and user-defined Picture Styles
The numeric parameters (or N) shown for each style are from left to right Sharpness, Contrast,
Saturation and Color Tone.
- Exposure level increments - 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop
- ISO speed increments - 1/3 or 1 stop
- ISO expansion - Off or On
- Bracketing auto cancel - On or Off
- Bracketing sequence - o, -, + or -, 0, +
- Safety shift - Disable or Enable (Tv/Av)
- Flash sync. speed in Av mode - Auto, 1/250-1/60 auto or 1/250sec. (fixed)
- Long exp. noise reduction: - Off, Auto or On
- High ISO speed noise reduction - Standard, Low, Strong, or Disable
- Highlight tone priority - Disable or Enable
- AI Servo tracking sensitivity - Choose 5 levels from Slow to Fast
- AI Servo 1st/2nd img priority - AF priority/Tracking priority, AF priority/Drive speed priority, Release/Drive Speed priority, Release/Tracking priority
- AI Servo AF tracking method - Main focus point priority or Continuous AF track priority
- Lens Drive when AF impossible - Focus search On or Off
- AF Microadjustment - Disable, Adjust all by same amount (±20), Adjust by lens (±20)
- Select AF area Selection mode - Enable, Disable, Register
- Manual AF Pt. Selection pattern - Stops at AF area edges or Continuous
- VF display illumination - Auto, Enable or Disable
- Display all AF points - Disable or Enable
- Focus display in AI Servo/MF - Enable or Disable
- AF-assist beam firing- Enable, Disable, Enable external flash only, IR AF assist beam only
- Orientation linked AF point - Same for both vertical/horizontal or Select different AF points
- Mirror lockup - Disable or Enable
- Custom Controls - Choose the function of various buttons/controls on the camera
- Dial direction during Tv/Av - Normal or Reverse direction
- Add image verification data - Disable or Enable
- Add aspect ratio info. - Off, Aspect ratio 6:6, Aspect ratio 3:4, Aspect ratio 4:5, Aspect ratio 6:7, Aspect ratio 10:12, or Aspect ratio 5:7
Live View and Video Capture
Here you can see the Live View image with all information enabled, including the Electronic Level display. You control the amount of information shown by using the INFO. button to the left of the LCD.
Like many Canon models, the 7D allows you to capture video at several resolutions. These include 1920x1080 (30 or 24fps), 1280x720 (60fps), and 640x480 (60fps). Stereo sound is also recorded, and the camera uses H.264 compression to help conserve memory card space. The 7D features a separate Movie mode/Live View shutter release button, which starts and stops video capture. In still image Live View mode, this shutter release turns LV mode On or Off. Movie files are saved as QuickTime .MOV format files, and the clip length is limited by either a max. file size of 4GB or 29 minutes and 59 seconds; whichever comes first. You can also shoot still images during video capture by pressing the normal shutter release.
Live View menu options:
- AF mode - Live mode, Face Live View, Quick mode
- Grid display - Off, Grid 1, Grid 2
- Movie Rec. size - 1920x1080 (30 or 24fps), 1280x720 (60fps) or 640x480
- Sound recording - On or Off
- Silent shoot - Mode 1, Mode 2, Disable
- Metering timer - 4, 16, 30 seconds or 1, 10, 30 minutes
- Auto power off - 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 minutes or Off
- Auto rotate - Enable auto rotation of portrait mode images in camera, on computer or both
- Format - Format the CF card
- File numbering - Continuous, Auto reset, or Manual reset
- Select folder - Choose the folder in which images will be saved in
- LCD brightness - LCD back light intensity, Auto (3 levels) or Manual (7 levels)
- Date / Time - Set date and time
- Language - Sets the menu language
- Video system - NTSC or PAL video output
- Sensor cleaning - Choose when the Sensor is cleaned: Auto, Clean Now, Clean Manually
- VF grid display - Enable or Disable
- Battery info. - Remaining capacity, shutter count, Recharge performance
- INFO button display options - Chose which options can be displayed; camera settings, electronic level, shooting functions
- Camera user settings - Save current settings to the Custom or Camera user setting positions on the mode dial (1/2/3)
- Copyright information - Display your copyright information, Enter author's name, Enter copyright details, Delete copyright information
- Clear all camera settings - Clear all camera or Custom Function settings
- Firmware Ver. - Display the current firmware version, can be user-updated
- Register - For faster access, you can register up to 6 menus and Custom Function setting you change frequently
- Sort - Change the order of your registered menus
- Delete - Choose to delete a registered menu
- Delete all item - Delete all registered menu items
- Display from My Menu - Enable or Disable the My Menu tab to be shown first when you press the MENU button
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.