Preview posted 02/05/2015 by Will Chambers
Review posted 09/11/2015 by Josh Fate
- AF and Metering are both incredibly fast and accurate
- Live view allows you to shoot with the LCD
- Full 1080p HD video capture produces beautiful videos
- Outstanding overall image quality
- Amazing detail from loads of resolution
- 3.2-inch, 1.04 million dot LCD is great in all lighting conditions to check focus and detail
- Great shooting performance considering the image size
- Good Battery Life
- Dual memory card slots
- EF lens collection cannot be beat
- HDMI and USB 3.0 outputs
- Audio input
- Very large, heavy camera
- Camera must be in video capture mode to capture video
- No GPS or WiFi built-in
- Battery seemed to go quickly during our tests
- No 4K video capture
- Dual card slots are SD and CF, not the same media (some may see this as positive)
- No built-in flash unit
|The Canon EOS 5Ds is a professional dSLR providing and amazing
50.6-Megapixels of resolution, great performance from the dual DIGIC 6
processors and Full 1080p HD video for those looking for more than just
still images. Read more in our Full Conclusion. |
Note: The EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R are basically the same camera. The only differences are the 5DS R has no low-pass filter, and costs about $200 more.
Canon's new EOS 5DS is an impressive new full frame DSLR, which boasts the world's highest resolution full frame (35mm format) CMOS image sensor (as of 2/2015), with a whopping 50.6-megapixels.
The 5DS, like all of their 5D-series EOS models, is aimed at photographers who want the benefits of a full frame sensor, originally only available to the EOS-1 line, in a more compact package. The 5DS still sports a rugged chassis with weather sealing, which they claim offers improved stability, thanks to a, "reinforced chassis, baseplate and tripod lug.".
To help process the light data from the 5DS' 50-megapixel image sensor, Canon included dual DIGIC 6 processors. They help keep the camera's performance robust while processing these huge image files, along with the camera's Full HD video capabilities.
Another improvement Canon made over past models is an updated mirror vibration control system, which helps reduce mirror bounce and camera shake. They've also added a new Arbitrary Release Time Lag Setting, which helps to minimize vibrations when using the Mirror Lock mode by offering several release interval settings (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2 seconds), over the typical method of pressing the shutter release once to lock the mirror, and once to release it.
The 5DS' AE system has been updated with a new anti-flicker system that, "automatically adjusts shutter release timing to help reduce disparities in exposure and color especially during continuous shooting.". This means you'll have less instances of exposure/color shift when shooting in gymnasiums and other auditoriums that often use sodium vapor and/or fluorescent lighting. They've also added two new white balance settings (Ambience Priority and White Priority), to help produce accurate colors in mixed and tungsten lighting conditions.
Along with a large and resolute LCD on the back, the 5DS and 5DS R offer Canon's Intelligent Viewfinder II, which provides a 100% field of view, and the ability to, "display cropped shooting frames and superimpose a customizable selection of camera settings and data such as dual-mode electronic level display and grid, as well as exposure, white balance, metering, drive, image quality and AF modes.". There's even a new customizable Quick Control Screen, which is a first for an EOS series camera. This screen allows you to quickly change often used camera settings.
Canon EOS 5DS Features:
- 50.6-megapixel full frame CMOS image sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6 image processors
- EF Mount
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF array, with 41 cross-type AF points.
- Intelligent Viewfinder II
- 3.2-inch Clear View II TFT LCD with approx. 1040K dots
- Improved AE system
- More durable body with reinforced chassis, baseplate, and tripod lug
- New Arbitrary Release Time Lag Setting, helps to minimize vibrations during mirror lock-up
- Full 1080p HD video Capture
- Dual SD/CF card slots
The EOS 5DS is available now with a MSRP of $3,699.00 for the body only. See our lowest price box at the top right of this page to see current online pricing.
Additional Product Views