Canon EOS-1D X Preview
For those of you who are wondering what camera the 1D X replaces, the 1Ds Mark III or 1D Mark IV, the answer is both; well it actually merges the two. With its predecessors, one would have to sacrifice speed for resolution, or vise versa. The 1D Mark IV was built for speed, but lacked in resolution and quality compared to the 1Ds Mark III due to its APS-H sized image sensor. Whereas, the 1Ds Mark III boasted a full frame sensor with more resolution and detail; but lacked the frame rate speeds. Both of which were/are amazing cameras that top pros around the world use every day. With the 1D X, Canon has taken the strengths of both models and stuffed them into one complete powerhouse, which boasts a full frame 18-megapixel CMOS image sensor, Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors, up to 12fps burst shooting at full resolution or 14fps with no AF, a third DIGIC 4 processor specifically for handling the information from an all new 100,000 pixel RGB metering sensor (107, 250 effective pixels), and much more. These features combined make the 1D X the ultimate professional dSLR, which will cater to the needs of most any photog; whether you're shooting Monday night football, or the latest fashion event.
Other appealing features that pros are sure to love are dual CF card slots, built-in gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 ports, two stops lower noise compared to past EOS models, ISO range from ISO 50 - 204,800 with expansion enabled, 2nd generation self cleaning system, new shutter rated up to 400,000 cycles with carbon fiber shutter blades and new drive system, improved intelligent OVF, increased durability, new control layout, a 3.2-inch LCD with over 1 million dots, an all new 61-point phase detection AF system, updated video options with new compression formats and much, much more.
We've been drooling over the spec sheets and images of the EOS-1D X, and we hope that sometime in the near future we can get our hands on one. However, at this time the 1D X is not scheduled to start shipping until March 2012, with a MSRP of $6,800 USD for the body only.
- Full Frame 18-megapixel CMOS image sensor
- New mechanical shutter rated up to 400,000 cycles thanks to carbon fiber blades and new drive motor
- Dual DIGIC 5+ imaging processors
- 2nd Gen EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Third DIGIC 4 processor for RGB Metering
- 100,000 Pixel RGB metering sensor
- Sensitivity settings from ISO 100 - 51,200; expansion available with Low (50), Hi 1 (102,400) and Hi 2 (204,800)
- Advanced new 61-point High Density Reticular Phase Detection AF system with 21 cross-type focusing points in the center of the frame; 5 of which are diagonal cross-type sensors for smaller apertures
- New intelligent EOS iTR AF Tracking and Recognition options
- Burst shooting at 12fps with AF (JPEG and RAW), or up to 14fps with no AF (JPEG only)
- Full 1080p HD video with new ALL-I and IPB compression format options
- Automatic video file splitting when 4GB is reached; video keeps rolling, while new files is created
- 3.2-inch wide LCD with 1,040,000 dots
- Subject Recognition system (AF, Exposure, Auto Lighting Control, AUto Picture Style)
- Optical Correction functions for peripheral illumination, Distortion correction, and CA correction
- Enhanced intelligent OVF with 100% frame coverage, .76x magnification, 20mm eye-point, and expanded ISO indicator; now 5 digits
- Built-in USB 3.0 and gigabit Ethernet ports
- New WFT-E6 Wi-Fi unit (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- New GP-E1 GPS unit
- Dual CF (Compact Flash) card slots
- Li-ion battery pack
Visitors of Steves can visit the stores below for real-time pricing and availability. You can also find hot, soon to expire online offers on a variety of cameras and accessories at our very own Camera Deals page.
Canons 4460B003L1-KIT includes an EOS 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera Body and an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens.
|$1,299 to $1,300|
high-res 3" tilt-and-swivel LCD screen (1,040,000 dots) with live view movie mode (up to 1080p resolution),5.3 frames-per-second continuous shooting mode for capturing fast action ...
Canons 4460B004L1-KIT includes an EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens.
Canon EOS 7D Designed by you, built by Canon The EOS 7D combines high performance, versatility and cinematic-style HD movies. 18 MP resolution delivers superb quality and 8 fps ...