PowerGenix NiZn Rechargeable Batteries and ChargerLooking for a more "Eco-Friendly" power source instead of all those alkaline AA batteries you've been going through, then tossing in the trash. How about one that offers better performance, has higher energy density, no "charge memory", and faster recharging times than NiMH and NiCd rechargeable cells? Would you like one that's less expensive and non-toxic; aka "Green" with no lead, cadmium or mercury? If you answered yes to any of these questions you'll want to have a look at the offerings from PowerGenix (also referred to as PG in this article).
Their unique NiZn (Nickel-Zinc) batteries offer better voltage output when compared to NiMH rechargeable cells at about 1.6 volts (NiMH average around 1.2V). This means NiZn cells can deliver more than 0.4V of additional voltage (about 30% more than NiMH), whether at open circuit or under load. PG also claims other benefits over your typical NiCd and NiMH cells with their Nickel-Zinc batteries, such as:
- High Energy Density - up to a third more the energy density of a traditional nickel-cadmium (NiCd) battery when measured by either weight or volume.
- Superior Power Density - higher voltage in a smaller and lighter package than other rechargeable batteries.
- Lower Cost - inherently less expensive, zinc provides a significant cost savings over other rechargeable batteries.
- Safety - Nickel-Zinc is proven as a safe chemistry that is abuse-tolerant.
- Speedy Recharge - batteries are capable of being completely recharging in less than two hours, or up to an 80% recharge within just one hour.
life - service life of theses NiZn cells meets or beats that
of most other rechargeable batteries on the market.
- Long Shelf Life - superior shelf life compared to lead-acid batteries which will sulfate over time limiting their life.
- Environmentally Green - both nickel and zinc are non-toxic and recycled easily.
Below you can see a comparison chart between NiZn, NiCd, and NiMH batteries (provided by PowerGenix - click to enlarge).
Currently, PowerGenix offers only AA type batteries which come in various packages:
- NiZn 1-Hour Quick Charger with 4 AA cells
- NiZn AA (2500mWh) 4-Pack
- NiZn AA (2500mWh) 8-Pack
- NiZn 3-5 Hour Fast Charger with 4 AA cells
PG is also offering some free C or D battery adapters when you purcahse one or more of the above products, which allow you to use these powerful NiZn AA cells in products that call for larger C and D type batteries. Click Here for more information on how to get your C or D adapters.
Bottom line - I've been using these NiZn cells from PowerGenix for a few weeks now in everything from my Canon 580EX II flash unit to my Xbox 360 controllers. So far they seem to be performing quite well, offering equal to or better life than my high-capacity NiMH batteries. I noticed the biggest increase in performance when shooting an indoor wedding reception using my Canon 580EX II speedlite. While I carried four fully charged sets with me, I never had to swap out the batteries during the entire event. This was over three hours of shooting (400+ photos) with no noticeable decrease in flash output, and thanks to the extra voltage, my flash seemed to recharge noticeable faster. In fact, the same set of batteries are still in my flash unit today, which still seem to be going strong (I've fired the flash at least 500 times so far with this single set installed).
I feel PowerGenix NiZn cells are a must have for anyone with electronics that require the use of AA type batteries. So far they have done nothing but impress me, and I plan on converting 100% to these cells, whether I'm installing them in my digital cameras, Canon speedlite, flash lights, or gaming controllers. The PowerGenix offerings are right in line with popular rechargeable battery prices, and in most cases actually a bit cheaper. Therefore, we've found that they offer better "bang for your buck" than NiMH or NiCd cells, and we have no problem giving PowerGenix's NiZn cells our highest recommendation. See the links above to get your hands on a set today!